To meet local ordinance and city code, several conditions apply for open burning.
Fire pits are considered recreational fires. They should be 25 feet from a structure or combustible materials. (Commercial properties only/single family and duplex are exempt for distances)
For portable outdoor fireplaces, the distance is 15 feet. (Again, this is for commercial properties only/ single family and duplex are exempt for distances)
Both types of open burning (for All properties) must meet the several conditions that follow:
- Must use only dry wood or charcoal fuel
- Must be kept to a manageable size (3 foot diameter or less/2 foot height or less)
- Must have extinguishing capability readily available (garden hose/fire extinguisher)
- Must be constantly attended until completely extinguished
- Must be kept between the hours of 7 a.m. and 11 p.m.
- Burning is not allowed during high winds (in excess of 20 mph)
- Burning is not allowed during times of high fire danger
- There is no imminent health hazard to persons in the area
Please, keep safety in mind at all times when burning.
Open Burning Regulations PDF